Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What Now?

I made the decision a couple of weeks ago to go to work instead of seeing my Psychiatrist.  Now I have no meds so what do I do now?  Common sense would tell you to go see the Psychiatrist.  Well, I did that and was told, "I'm sorry, the next available appointment is in January."  While sitting there feeling totally helpless I asked, "I need meds, can I get them?"  The response I got was, "We will give this to the Doctor."  That was two days ago.

I went to the pharmacy to ask if Sam's meds were ready and there I was told, "I'm sorry, we are still waiting for the Doctor to contact us, maybe you should call them tomorrow."  What the heck!  I told the doctor four days ago that Sam needed his meds and they told me to contact the pharmacists to have the pharmacy contact them.  I did that!  I want to scream, "Are you serious!" Now Sam is out of his meds.  I asked the pharmacy if my meds were ready to be told no.  I walked away feeling totally crushed.  Is there anybody who cares about my family's well being? 


I have been in a downward spiral for a couple of days now.  This latest news was just too much.  I walked away from the Wegman's pharmacy in tears.  All the woman could do was say, "I'm sorry."  It is not her fault.  It is mine. 

I needed ice cream for Sam.  He wanted his night time snack.  A woman's cart was in the way and I tearfully said, "Umm, I need to get some ice cream."  Feeling totally awkward in my tears I went to get his other favorite snack of pistachios.  I ran into a marching band mom who is a breast cancer survivor.  She looked at me and I totally collapsed into her arms.  I just sobbed and wailed, "I can't do this!"  She asked me what was wrong and I explained that I just felt like I didn't have any strength left.  We talked about breast cancer and I told her about my worries and how I had an oncology appointment coming up.  We talked about depression and how people don't want to be involved with someone that just isn't feeling well.  I won't have any friends coming over to my house saying, "What can we do?" 

Why am I talking about this?  I am all about education and why not educate in the midst of feeling like I can't take another step.  I think about the guy that pushed the woman into the tracks in NYC while trying desperately to find help.  I think of people shouting, "I need help!" only to get none.  Does this really happen?  Yes it does, I read about it all the time.  After a tragedy the first response is, "What could we have done to prevent this?"

I am not going to go on a shooting spree or any other seemingly ridiculous way to shout to the world that I am hurting.  I will just wake up in the morning full of fear to work as hard as I can to get through the day.  That is how my depression works.  How does one describe what this fear feels like?  All I can say that it is debilitating.  I tearfully talk myself into getting dressed and getting outside.  That is what I did this morning.  I made it and now it is night.  Yes, I fell apart in the store and yes, I am afraid to go to bed in fear of what I will feel like tomorrow.  Again, this is how my depression plays out. 

Tomorrow I will call the Psychiatrist and if he won't help me I will call my General Practioner.  If my General Practitioner won't help me I will go to the Emergency Room.  If they won't help me I will be out of luck.  I feel like a child who has made a bad choice.  I shouldn't have chose money over drugs to keep me well. 

I will be alright because I always make it.  I will smile when people say hello.  I will somehow get my medication so the depression will not dip to the point where I will be admitted into the local R-Wing.  I will wait for the upswing even though it feels like it won't arrive.  I will be ok.

Definition of Mental

1.a: of, relating to, or being intellectual as contrasted with overt physical activity.
2.a: of, relating to, or affected by a psychiatric disorder <mental patient>.
b: mentally disordered, mad, crazy.

I choose being an intellectual as my definition of being mental.

*The photo that I use for my background was taken by Sam.

 

1 comment:

  1. I'd park myself in the waiting room of that psychiatrist's office until something is done. What's that saying? The squeaky wheel gets the grease??

    Be a sqeaky wheel!

    ReplyDelete